Monday, April 18, 2011

Basil Raviolis


I swear it must be my basil plants intention to take over the world.  I've been having to find new and creative way to use the clippings.   My previous attempts of making ravioli's have always been a success, so without hesitation i dove into this recipe originally posted by Thyme for Food.

Ricotta and Basil Ravioli

For the dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour and eggs for about 1 minute.  Scrape the dough off the beater and change to the dough hook.  Knead for about 3 minutes.  The dough will look dry and pebbly.  Bring the dough together with your hands and knead, by hand, until it has come together fully.  You may need to add a small amount of water but not much.  Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the filling:
1 cup ricotta cheese
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup minced fresh basil
1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well integrated.  

I will admit, I did not use the above pasta dough recipe.  Ever since I was gifted my KitchenAid attachment set I have had nothing but great reviews on the Basic Egg Pasta recipe that comes in the instruction booklet. 

Basic Egg Pasta
4 large eggs Place eggs, water, flour, and salt in mixer bowl.
(78 cup eggs) 1 tablespoonwater
312 cups sifted all-purpose flour
12 teaspoon salt

Attach bowl and flat beater. Turn to Speed 2 and mix 30 seconds.
Exchange flat beater for dough hook. Turn to Speed 2 and knead 2 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 1 to 2 minutes. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Divide dough into 4 pieces before processing with Pasta Sheet Roller attachment.
Yield: 114 pounds dough.


I have never made ravioli's free form.  I guess its simply a matter of preference,  but I really like them to be uniform.  It helps them cook more evenly and keeps the filling amount consistent inside each one.  
I bought a form that came with a little rolling pin.   It works perfectly and cost just under $20.00.





0 comments:

Post a Comment